Monday, November 9, 2009

Desktop, notebook, or netbook? See what I choose hands down...

I get asked for computer advice all the time. The conversation usually starts like this..."I'm thinking about buying a new computer and I'm not sure what type I should buy..." They usually make this statement having already arrived at a conclusion that they want me to confirm or rubber-stamp by saying that I think they should buy a notebook too. My response usually catches them totally off-guard when I tell them that my advice would be to purchase a desktop and not a notebook or netbook and there are several reasons why:

1. It is far easier to type on a full sized keyboard. I will concede the fact that notebooks (laptop is a misnomer; more on that later) look cool and the screens are finally getting large enough to actually see what you're working on, but if you plan on actually using the computer to work a full sized keyboard will reduce fatigue in your fingers and decrease your chances of repetitive strain injuries like Carpel Tunnel Syndrome.

2. You get more for your money with a desktop. Because the manufacturer is not trying to cram all of those components into a small space you will pay a lower price for the larger size of a desktop. You even have some extra space in the desktop case to add a second hard drive, CD or DVD drive.

3. Heat kills. Many people make the mistake of placing the notebook computer on their lap (hence the term laptop). These machines were not designed to be placed on your lap or anywhere that the tiny vents on the bottom of the machine may be blocked. A notebook computer should be placed on a flat service such as a table or tray so that air from the internal fan can circulate. Blocking these vents can be a costly mistake when the CPU overheats. While I'm on the subject of heat, never leave your machine in a car. Treat them like you would your child or pet. Heat is not good for your computer and can kill it too.

1 comment:

  1. hey mr. marcus brown i am trying to look for your contact number. i want to join envision's again

    ReplyDelete